*SOLD OR NO LONGER AVAILABLE* Listing for archive purposes only. See Violin Bows tab for current inventory.
W.E. Hill & Sons, England, UK circa 1950 octagonal pernambuco silver/tortoiseshell with original whalebone lapping, by an early William Watson and beautiful example made in the Hill workshop, 57 grams. His number ‘7’ identification is engraved on the underside of the silver tip plate. The underside of the handle has the number 50 stamped on it signifying the year it was made. The bow is lively and strong, focused, compact dark sound, with easy to control, nimble playing characteristics. Great condition.
At the astonishingly young age of 14, William D. Watson joined the W.E. Hill & Sons firm in 1945. Watson became the first apprentice in the Hill shop in over seventeen years, and the last student of William Retford. Immediately, Retford realized the sure determination and aptitude Watson possessed, and entrusted him with crafting the "Fleur de Lys" design. During his time in the Hill shop, his elders were surprised to find that the young man achieved a standard of delicacy unequalled in any Hill bow. In 1962, Watson left the Hill firm to work under his own name, where unto this day, he has been making magnificently crafted bows that are highly prized.
top of page
bottom of page