7/8 size Mirecourt violin made by the Jerome Thibouville-Lamy workshop. 349mm LOB
The largest of the great Mirecourt instrument making firms. In 1957 Jérôme Thibouville joined forces with Charles Buthod and Charles-Claude Husson to form Husson-Buthod-Thibouville. When Jérôme Thibouville married Marguerite Hyacinthe Lamy in 1861, the firm changed its name to the now-famous "Jérôme Thibouville-Lamy (J.T.L.)".
The firm became the largest of the Mirecourt violin making factories – at its peak it produced over 150,000 instruments annually and employed 1,000 craftsmen.
The firm had different lines of instruments, including student instruments (eg the Médio-Fino and Compagnon ranges) and copies of makers ranging from Stainer and Klotz to Stradivari, as well as instruments named after old violin making-families from Mirecourt and other French makers.
The J.T.L. firm closed its factories in 1968, after the Mirecourt instrument making industry went into terminal decline in the mid 20th century.