Silver/Ebony viola bow by J.S. Finkel, Brienz, Switzerland, mid 20th century, 72 grams.
The name Finkel stands tall in the world of European bow making and relates to the work of mainly Siegfried Finkel and his son Johannes S. Finkel (b. 1947). Although originally from Markneukirchen, the Finkels moved to Brienz, Switzerland in 1952. Johannes Finkel initially studied bowmaking with his father, but from 1968 to 1973 to spent time working in the violinmaking establishments of J. & A. Beare in London, with Hans Weisshaar in Los Angeles and with William Moennig & Son in Philadelphia. In 1974 he returned to the family business in Brienz.
top of page
bottom of page